Friday, October 24, 2008

Hollywood Movie Costumes for sale!

Ok, say "Costume Warehouse" to someone who is involved in creating costumes for the theatre, and there's bound to be a spine shiver or two. Now say "Sale" in a Warehouse of a million pieces and over 100 thousand costumes and there's more shivering than just a spine!

I'm piloting my vehicle, with 3 keen passengers, out to see this stupendous warehouse on Sunday. It's on the other side of the city, just outside city limits, in a 10,000 sq. ft. warehouse that holds 4 layers, floor to ceiling, of racks and racks of professionally designed and made period pieces made mostly for big-screen Hollywood movies, shot all over the world. ohhhhh bliss! Multi award winning Wendy Partridge, of Momentum Design (I've noticed her name in many credits -- I always sit in the theatre after the movie is done to read the big list) is having a first-ever sale of her stock from over the years.

_____________________________________
POST TRIP UPDATE: After the trip this afternoon.
We went, we saw, we saw, we blinked, we saw.... 5 levels of full, full racks. To quote The Friendly Giant "Look up.... look waaaaaaay up..."
So organized, clean, abundant! Must have been hundreds of neatly labelled plastic bins on one entire wall, 3 stories high "bum rolls, electric socks, white gloves, leather bits, etc." 2 fork lifts in the aisles to lift and access the higher rows. Period pieces in so many textures and colours I was in bliss. Walking through the door I could smell the fabric, but it was pleasant and not at all that stale fabric smell. At one point though, I knew that I had reached overload and I felt like my brain sort of shut down. I could no longer respond or initiate any more " ohhhh, look at THIS one... and this one... oh oh oh, and check out this frock!!!". I sort of followed my friend around with a frozen grin and an overworked explanation of "wow. wow. I mean, wow". LOL!
No pics were allowed, so there's none to share, sorry. Guess you had to be there, and if you're in Calgary, you can be there too and I'll loan you my all purpose goofy grin and "wow" - you'll need 'em.

No comments: