If I were to visit NYC, I'd probably spend the entire time, and budget, on seeing Broadway shows.
Yesterday, my hubby took me to see the North America Tour of Disney's LION KING!! What a beautiful, beautiful show! The story wasn't what held me, but when the Opening started and the parade of exquisite creatures came floating onto the imaginative scenic design.... well, tears were flowing down my face. It was like standing in front of a piece of classic art in a museum, or hearing a symphony which speaks to the innermost part of a person, as if the thing created by human hands is an act of worship using the giftings that God has given. It's a pure act, and my tears were, I believe, a pure response.
The scenic design was wonderful, with so many african patterns and rich, earthy colours. Multiple scrims, curtains, backdrops, foregrounds, using angles & triangles to echo the patterns. Grasses and greens represented by feathery rows of lowered leaves with lights dancing on them so they seemed to be like grass quivering and rolling on the breezes. Rows of grass spears rolled across downstage floor made the actors appear to be running through it, and then actors wrapped in fantastical costumes of more grass, and fan-folded leaves appeared and seemed to morph into the greens. Delightful.
The lights, the misty fog, the layered golden sun rising from behind the sandy horizon.... the massive "rock" staircase which moved like a snake into and out of it's place (by remote control, I was to learn) seamless and graceful. The dancers, some flown in from the sides and the sky, swirling limbs of chocolate brown, and their bodies clad in skin-tight body suits which revealed beautiful forms of supple muscle and grace, yearning to be sculpted in marble because of their classic lines.
Sitting in the 1st balcony, we were afforded a wonderful view that was enhanced with good binoculars (because I LOVE to see the details of the spectacle). There well might have been steam rising off the eye cups from the combination of constant use and the intermittent moisture (hehehe). Oh, and the score was sooo good! You've probably heard at least parts of it, from the animated movie, but to hear these particular arrangements played by a talented live orchestra and the voices of the actors rising together.... pure magic!!
I've seen a lot of theatre, musicals, etc., and this show is unlike anything to be set before these eyes. It was exhilarating and rich with mad creativity, and I was overwhelmed with appreciation for all the designs and building, blocking and execution of this massive project. Yup, I really, really, really like it. hehehe
If you go to this link, and click on the "Get a Sneak Peak" (in the upper left corner), it does give a taste of the sights and sounds. (You'll want to see the full show, betcha! GO if it's touring anywhere near you)
http://disney.go.com/theat

No comments:
Post a Comment