I blinked and 27 years later I'm having an anniversary. Not alone, mind you, but with my most favourite person on earth - my husband. He still surprises me :) He kidnapped me for a few days and took me out to a fabulous Inn out in the Rocky Mountains. He'd booked the honeymoon suite and it was so beautiful! The Inn is an olde English tudor style, decorated with many items from the owners native England.
Our room was huge, and on a 3rd/top floor with interesting peaked ceilings and a dormer style window with a view of the mountains.... looking so perfect it was like gazing at a painting. Flick a switch and the gas fireplace came to warm life, making the room cozy to take advantage of the large jacuzzi tub from which the fireplace and TV could easily be seen from within the bubbles. Pass me some fruit from the fridge, would you hunney? ooo, chocolate! Oh, and the bed was bigger than I've ever seen - is there one larger than a kingsize? If in the middle it was impossible to reach any edge of the thing! Felt like a kid in gramma's feather bed.
Beautiful streets to stroll, and fine Spring weather made it a treat. There's a fabulous quilt store there The Sugar Pine, 2 floors of over 8000 fabric bolts, patterns, notions,... quilter's heaven. The town was so quiet, too, because it's in between the winter ski season and the summer tourist season. We might well have been the only ones not living there hehehe. Again, I did take some photos but until my computer has it's boo-boo fixed, I'm not able to insert them into this blog.
We'd not done anything in particular for several years on our anniversary, so it was past due time. I find that extra effort has to be made, on purpose, or the opportunities slip away. On our 25th, we couldn't make up our minds where or even if we could get away, since my father was ailing and it was very stressful if we weren't right handy for him. Turns out that it was a very good thing that we hadn't gone on some celebratory trip to Hawaii or somewhere because dad took ill and we were honoured to be with him on the eve of our anniv. as he passed away while we sat vigil. I would have deeply regretted not being with him.
So I decided that it's time to "take back the date" to be first and foremost a celebration of our marriage, as it was for 24 years before dad's death. Of course we will remember him too, but I know he would agree that life is for the living so we must focus on one another until we grow old and grey ourselves.
I will say without hesitation that marrying my guy was the best thing I ever did in my life. I met him when I was just 15, and within a very short time I felt sure that I would marry him one day... took us 5 years to get there :) It's hard to believe that we've known one another for far longer than we haven't. I suppose my age and being a wife for this long point to me being a grown-up now, huh? Being mature is another matter.
3 years ago

1 comment:
Dear Old Married Broad:
(grin) Very misleading title to a very sweet post. Hope your husband got to read it! Can't wait to see the pics... uh, not the inflagrante' ones, thanks. xoxo
Post a Comment