Sunday, November 16, 2008

Leave it to Cleaver


Vegetables are afraid of me now that I have a cleaver. A heavy, solid steel chinese cleaver like I've been wanting for a while now. Chop chop chop... beautiful.

Knives in the ol' kitchen can be such a pleasure to work with, when they're good quality and do what they've been designed for. Do you have decent knives? Do you have a cleaver and what are your favourite things about it? Being a cleaver newbie, I'm very interested.

The next thing I'm hunting for is a great stock pot... at least 14L-16L (fairly large), extra thick solid bottom (for heat distribution and won't burn things to the bottom), welded handles and a nice feeling lid. For making big soup stock, making big batches of jams or applesauce for canning, etc. My Mum had the perfect one, but I packed it up and sent it to my brother in a moment of graciousness/insanity. Now I am haunted by letting that go, and I've actually had several nightmares about it, and that my Mum was upset at me for not keeping it and using it. I've tried to forget it, tried to let it go and just be happy with the pots that I have, but until I find the perfect almost-like-Mum's pot I will be ill at ease. Crazy, I know, but there it is.

1 comment:

Ozjane said...

Hmmmmmmmm, I have one of those somewhere too...Since I have had my Furi knives I have sort of forgotten the poor old cleaver.
Maybe I do not eat enough vegatables too?